Virginia Beach Divorce Attorney
When two individuals enter into a marriage, they usually expect to remain together for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work out that way. Communication problems, adultery, economic stress, and disagreements can eventually lead a couple to terminate their marriage.
Divorce can be an emotionally challenging and contentious legal process, particularly if the spouses are not in agreement on certain issues. That’s why it is crucial to hire a Virginia divorce attorney to handle your case and represent your interests. The Virginia Beach divorce lawyers of Pincus Goodman, P.C.. have the experience and skills to protect your parenting and property rights, help you navigate the legal process, and work to favorably resolve any disputes that arise during divorce proceedings.
If you are considering filing for divorce in Virginia Beach, contact our divorce attorneys for a consultation by calling our office at (757) 301-9634.
Divorce-Related Issues Our Attorneys Can Help With
At Pincus Goodman, P.C., our attorneys have helped clients with a wide variety of divorce-related issues, including:
- Divorce (Contested and Uncontested) – There are two main types of divorce in Virginia: contested and uncontested. When two spouses cannot agree on the terms of their separation agreement (i.e., child custody arrangements, visitation schedules, alimony, property division), a divorce can be considered “contested.” A “fault” divorce is also considered “contested,” and to seek a fault-based divorce, a spouse must demonstrate that they have legal “grounds” for divorce. In an uncontested divorce, the two parties are in agreement on all the major points of the separation agreement. If your divorce is contested, our attorneys will help you resolve any points of conflict that arise between you and your spouse during legal proceedings. And even though uncontested divorces tend to be quicker and less contentious, it can still be helpful to have an attorney on hand to protect your rights, offer you legal advice, and iron out any small disputes that come up during the divorce process.
- Separation Agreements – Separation agreements are legally-binding documents that divorcing couples use to outline how they will divide their property and assets, dictate child custody arrangements and visitation rights, determine spousal support (alimony), and outline the terms of the divorce. There are many considerations that go into drafting a separation agreement, so it is important to consult with a seasoned divorce attorney when establishing the terms of your separation.
- Child Custody, Visitation/Parenting Time/Support – Child custody arrangements, visitation schedules, and spousal support are three of the most contested issues during divorce proceedings. Not only can we help you establish an arrangement that meets your needs and goals, but we can also help you enforce or modify the terms of your arrangement when necessary.
- Protective Orders – Protective orders may take two distinct forms: stay-away and no-contact. For someone to obtain a protective order, they must be able to demonstrate before a court that they have a reasonable fear of bodily harm or that they’ve been physically harmed. Magistrates automatically issue protective orders in cases where a spouse has been charged with domestic violence crimes. Our firm has a long track record of experience helping survivors of domestic violence seek protection orders that best suit their personal situation.
- Failure to Pay Support – If your ex-spouse has been ordered by the court to pay child support and they have stopped making payments without seeking a modification to the current support order, you should contact one of our divorce attorneys right away. The consequences for failing to pay child support in Virginia are severe and can include fines and jail time. Our knowledgeable divorce lawyers can help you take legal action against the payor and enforce the terms of your separation agreement or court order.
- Domestic Assault – When a person attempts to hurt a family or household member or threatens a family or household member with violence, they can be charged with domestic assault. Domestic assault is a serious crime in Virginia. It is categorized as a Class 1 misdemeanor according to Virginia Code § 18.2-57.2. It can also be upgraded to a felony in some cases. Penalties may include fines and jail time, not to mention the social and professional consequences that may impact the defendant’s life for years to come. If you have been accused of domestic assault in Virginia, you should consult with one of our experienced domestic assault attorneys right away. We have the ability to craft a strong defense and challenge the prosecution’s case.
- Domestic Violence – Domestic violence encompasses a variety of crimes against family and household members, including domestic assault and battery, malicious wounding, aggravated malicious wounding, malicious wounding via caustic substance, strangulation, and stalking. If you are convicted of domestic violence crimes in Virginia, you could face significant prison time and fines. In addition to the social stigma and loss of reputation associated with a domestic violence conviction, you could also have a hard time securing employment, loans, and housing. That’s why it is imperative to hire a skilled domestic violence attorney at Pincus Goodman, P.C., to help you fight the charges.
At Pincus Goodman, P.C., we understand how tough it can be to draft and enforce separation agreements, determine child custody and visitation arrangements, and deal with other divorce-related issues. If you are seeking a divorce, our attorneys will work to expedite the process and help you start your new life on secure financial footing.
Why You Should Hire a Divorce Lawyer
While hiring a divorce attorney to help with your case might seem like a superfluous expense, it can actually save you money in the long run. An accomplished divorce lawyer can protect your share of the marital assets and ensure that your parenting rights are not violated.
If you hire the Virginia Beach attorneys of Pincus Goodman, P.C., to represent you, we will:
- Help you negotiate solutions when disagreements arise
- Take your emotional needs into account
- Explain and protect your rights
- Help you complete and submit accurate documentation to the court
Don’t try to navigate the divorce process alone. Our compassionate divorce attorneys can provide the legal and emotional support you need during this challenging time and will work hard to help you seek a favorable outcome.
Contact a Virginia Beach Divorce Attorney Today
If you’re seeking a divorce in Virginia Beach, contact a Virginia Beach divorce lawyer from Pincus Goodman, P.C., today to discuss your legal options. Call us at (757) 301-9634 today for a free consultation.